Sunday, 21 October 2012
This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Olde and New shop in Stirling Street. The owner, Mrs Gillian Egan, pictured above, quit her job as a sales representative (for a components firm) in 1987 to pursue her interest in antiques and second-hand paraphernalia. Stirling Street comprises mainly 18th Century properties. The shop was owned through much of the 1800s by the Netherwood family, who ran a thread-making business upstairs and a grocery downstairs. The grocery was eventually acquired by Eli Tillotson, who is pictured below in about 1920.