Signs of the times: the present-day frontage of Twigg's (above) is restrained compared with the 1970s stridency of tobacco and newspaper advertising (below).
John and Shirley Twigg, who came to Silsden from Keighley, acquired the business from the Fuguill family, which had kept the Streets name during their proprietorship.
Above: This Streets advertisement was published in the Urban District Council's 1954 guide to Silsden.
Above: The shops from No. 31 (the bakery, not in picture) to No. 39, between Aire View and New Road, are an attractively colourful Kirkgate asset. The same aspect but with different retailers in the 1970s is pictured below.
Above: In the late 1890s and early 1900s, before becoming Streets' newsagent's and stationer's, No. 39, with a veranda, was run by John Roberts, fruiterer and seedsman. Photograph from the late Kevin Bower's collection.
|Above:This intrepid woman cyclist in the 1890s contrasts starkly with the two shawled lasses on the pavement outside John Roberts' shop. Photograph from the late Kevin Bower's collection.|