Above: the old and the new at Swartha, the delightful hamlet in Hawber Lane, where the late Kenneth Boothman's former farm has been strikingly developed in the last few years. There has been an agricultural settlement at Swartha for around 800 years.
Above: it is difficult today to achieve an exact photographic comparison.
Above: this picture from the other end of the row of cottages offers an intriguing perspective. The mark on the reverse of this postcard is dated August 1942. The car just coming into view on the left looks to be of the 1920s/30s.
Above: Swartha and its eponymous wood take their name from an Old English word meaning dark ravine. This setting was the subject of a postcard sent from Silsden in 1922. The footbridge spans Brunthwaite beck.