ceremonial trowel for permanent display
Above: Arthur Tillotson is pictured by the ceremonial trowel he has donated for permanent display at Silsden Town Hall. Arthur's great grandfather Joshua Tillotson built the premises, then known as the Mechanics Institute, in 1883/84, and the trowel was used to lay the foundation stone. The Friends of Silsden Town Hall have restored the trowel, which bears the name of Lord Hothfield, who opened the building in December 1883. Arthur, 89, is life president of Silsden Football Club, for whom he starred in his playing days. Tillotson Street is named after his great grandfather, whose firm also built Hothfield and Tufton streets and the lower stretch of Skipton Road.
Above: as well as unveiling the trowel, Mr. Tillotson declared open a new history panel telling the story of the Town Hall and its continuing role as a community asset. The panel has been funded and produced by Silsden Local History Group. Attending the ceremonies on March 21 were committee members of the Town Hall Friends and the Local History Group and representatives of Bradford Council. Ray Colling, chairman of the Town Hall Friends, is pictured second from left and David Mason, chairman of the Local History Group, is fourth from left.